Celebrating Golden Jubilee 1965-2015
Association of State Road Transport Undertakings (ASRTU) came into existence on 13th August, 1965 to bring together all the State Road Transport Undertakings on a common platform with the aim of pooling their resources and know how for dealing with various problems faced by them and help them to improve their performance. Association of State Road Transport Undertakings is an apex coordinating body working under the aegis of Ministry of Road Transport & Highways Govt. of India. ASRTU has 62 members collectively operates 150,000 buses and serve 70 million passenger a day and provide efficient, economic, safe and reliable public transport facility in urban, hilly and rural areas across the country.
We are delighted to share with you that ASRTU has completed 50 years of its journey. During these 50 years the bus industry has come a long way to witness the dynamic form in the passenger transport, manufacturing buses, technology, fuel, passenger comfort, safety etc.
- ASRTU has expertise of 50 years for promoting public transport in the country at present 62 SRTUs are the backbone of mobility for the urban and rural population across the country and collectively operate about 150000 lakh buses and providing gainful employment to 1.0 million people.
- Provides forum for exchange of ideas on best practices and dealing with various issues relating to SRTU members and help them to improve their performance.
- A common procurement service through ASRTU Rate Contract is decided by Standing Committee (Supplies & Contracts).
- Facilitates testing of components to ensure quality assurance and training personnel, formulate specifications of various bus spares, besides other general items used for maintenance of bus fleet in SRTUs.
- Exposure to top management of SRTUs at National and International best practices through participation in Conferences/Study tours/workshops.
- Undertake advocacy for public transport issues in general and SRTUs in particular.
- Liaising with various Ministries and other concerned key departments of Government of India and abroad.
- ASRTU motto is to promote public transport at par with the international standard.
ASRTU is headed by Secretary, Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Govt. of India as the ex-officio President. Day to day work is managed at the level of Executive Director (ED) CIRT, Pune, the technical organ of ASRTU, looks after the testing of spare parts and components at the stage of pre-qualification of rate contract vendors and also for the samples sent by STU’s. The Institute has well-equipped laboratory and testing facilities. The Institute also conducts training programmes for STUs and undertakes research/consultancy studies on road transport. It has 226 personnel including officers/scientists. The Institute is headed by a Director.
The Association’s active involvement in promotion of public transport, constant efforts towards managerial and technological upgradation in the sector, collection and dissemination of information etc. have made it a pivotal institution in the road transport sector. ASRTU is represented on a number of panels and Committees of the Government of India, through which it contributes to the formulation of policies concerning the road transport sector.
ASRTU also works in close liaison with many overseas counterpart associations like APTA, UITP, CODATU, etc.
Passenger Transport Industry has been playing important role due to its deep forward backward linkages with several key segments of country’s integral part of economy. Indian bus industry public and private together have 1.6 million buses and it has potential up to 3 folds to cater the requirement of upcoming cities. The potential of industry is well tapable when it is backed by the Govt. of India. ASRTU endeavors to meet the industry leaders from India and international entities to join for the growing business needs.
- Thriving on challenges, moving on the wheels of innovations and facilitating seamless integration of
- India’s State Road Transport Undertakings, to ensure a world class passenger road transport system
- reaching all corners of India, thus making a mark in the global map of Public Road Transport.
- Strengthening the Public Transport System in the country by facilitating improvement of transport infrastructure with enhanced safety standards and assured service levels, efficient governance, sustainable mobility with environmental sensitivity and last mile connectivity.
- Formulation of policies and facilitating their implementation, advocacy with Ministry and Government agencies, addressing issues of common interest in various interactive forums for the benefits of member undertakings.
- Enhancing the competency of Transport managers of STUs by participation in National and International Conferences and Seminars, workshops and training.
- Providing a common procurement service of quality automobile components at reasonable prices meeting the standard specifications to its member.
What We Do
- To provide forum for exchange of ideas on best practices on various issues to facilitate operational excellence.
- To facilitate exposure to top management of SRTUs at National and International best practices through participation in Conferences/Study tours/workshops.
- Inspire excellence though innovation and sharing useful information and cutting edge knowledge & expertise.
- To provide a common procurement service through ASRTU Rate Contract which is decided by Standing Committee (Supplies & Contracts).
Testing of Components
- To facilitate testing of components to ensure quality assurance and training personnel, formulate specifications of various bus spares, besides other general items used for maintenance of Bus fleet in SRTUs.
Advocacy & Outreach
- To undertake advocacy to promote public transport & sustainable mobility solutions though liaising with various Ministries at National Level.
- To undertake and promote research studies in transport economics & engineering and other matters affecting the transport industry.
Networking & Business
- We bring our members & Industry OEM’s together to exchange ideas, and technical solution & mutual beneficial business partnership at our Annual General Meeting and Annual Conference.